It’s been a while since I’ve set goals and eventually obtain them, but once I do I can’t seem to stop!
Today just want to share my experience in the past 3 months in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I just got my PvP rank up to 38 and finally got to wear the piece of gear I’ve always wanted! I know, I’m taking a game quite seriously but in fact I’ve learned a lot of things about myself, and how to deal with people. Sounds ridiculous even to me, but the fact is real people do hide behind their character and do all sorts of things because they’re still protected by anonymity part of character creations in MMORPGs. I know I do :)
So in the past few months I’ve done over 270 Frontline runs, and have 95 wins so far. Frontlines is a 72-player PvP battlefield where 3 teams of 24 fight each other over territories in order to accumulate points. First team to 1600 points win.
1. Always greet your team mates! – I noticed that when you just say hi to the team, the morale just goes up! It also makes discussing tactics a lot less awkward for me. I didn’t wanna be one of those who only speaks up when sh*ts going down or when we start pointing fingers. Also if you’re the first one to speak up, they’re more likely to be open to your opinions because you were nice from the start.
2. Everyone needs to be on the same page – Simply saying to the group ‘THIS is how it’s going to be done’ isn’t going to cut it. You’re being put into a battlefield with 23 other allies you don’t know, and probably don’t give a hoot’s ass about winning. What I tend to do is ask ‘So what’s the plan?’ and get as many ideas as we can. We discuss roles, establish ground rules and begin the game without having to guess what to do. Also if you have no tactics, go with the team. Don’t go off by yourself.
3. Don’t insult people – If you want to be heard, or you need someone to pick up their game, they’re not going to listen to the string of curses you’re throwing at them. Often when I ask someone to do something nicely, people listen, and it goes well. It’s the simple manners that people tend to forget in the heat of battle. People will also remember you by your actions and may lose any respect they have for you, so keep that in mind.
4. Getting irrationally angry, but still maintain good sportsmanship – This happens to me a lot. Sometimes I get killed, and my opponent starts tea-bagging me. After I re-spawn I would either move onto another area… or hunt them down and kill them, but NOT teabag them afterwards. It’s just plain rude. Them being a jackass is no reason for you to stoop down to their level.
5. Congratulate your team on the win! - Chances are they’ll be in such a good mood they’ll re-queue back in and you’re likely to win again! Don’t let your team effort go unnoticed!
6. Never give up! Don’t lose hope when you’re 200 points behind. We managed to go from the bottom and come out as winners just from getting our act together. But if you’re 500 points behind… well too bad, game over. Don’t take it to heart, and don’t lash out on your team mates. There’s always a next time!
7. Be a team player, don’t run off and try to be the hero – Because if you run off by yourself, most likely a swarm of enemies will be after your ass and your team won’t be around to cover you.
8. Be understanding of healers – I levelled my healer and tried her out in Frontlines… gosh it was hard. I realized how to work with healers as a damage dealer afterwards. I felt bad every time I ran out of their heal range and they couldn’t heal me in time, or when we couldn’t protect the healer. So don’t give your healer crap when you don’t get heals – they’re doing the hardest job keeping people alive. Think of how you can make their job easier.
9. When you start to notice a losing streak happening, stop! – It’s time to take a break! The new kids are now out and about and they probably will suck the fun out of the game for you. I noticed that the team tends to lose when I begin to see more and more unfamiliar faces. Also the other teams are too tired of you winning, and have probably gotten their act together to gang up on you. :3
10. Make friends and have fun! – It makes it so much easier when you get to know people and have fun fighting alongside them… or even against them! Making friends on other servers and other teams helps me with maintaining an ongoing interest and motivation to achieve my rank.
That’s it for tonight! Hope this will come useful to me in the future :)